Covid-19 Entry Restrictions to Mainland China Updated Sept. 25

China Visa

Who can travel to Mainland China including Hainan Island from Sept. 28, 2020:

From September 28, 2020, foreign nationals holding valid residence permits for work, personal affairs, or family reunions many once again enter Mainland China. Persons whose residence permits in the approved categories expired after March 28, 2020, may apply for a new residence permit at a Chinese embassy or consulate abroad provided their reasons for traveling to Mainland China have not changed. Such persons should bring the expired residence permit and supporting documentation with them when they reapply. All persons traveling to Mainland China are required to abide by all epidemic control and prevention measures currently in place.

COVID-19 Test Results Required for Travel to China :

All persons (including Chinese nationals) must have proof of a negative result for COVID-19 issued no more than 72 hours before departure using a nucleic acid test performed by a provider recognized by the local Chinese embassy or consulate. This policy does not apply to residents from Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, or Taiwan. Chinese nationals should upload test results using the “Health QR Code” mobile app.

Foreign nationals must submit test results to a Chinese embassy or consulate and obtain a “Health Status” certificate for use when boarding flights bound for China. All persons (including Chinese nationals) must undergo a 14-day quarantine at a designated location upon arrival in Mainland China. This policy includes an option for persons entering via Shanghai to undergo a 7-day quarantine in a designated location followed by 7 days of self-isolation at home.

Who can apply visas now to China: Resumption of Visa Applications for Certain Persons from August 25, 2020:

From August 25, 2020, persons from the following countries/regions are once again eligible to submit applications for a Chinese visa provided they meet certain criteria: Albania, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Montenegro, Myanmar, Netherlands, Norway, North Macedonia, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Timor-Leste, and Vietnam.

In order to apply, persons must fall into one of the following categories:

1) Persons who hold a valid “Foreigner’s Residence Permit” issued for work or who need to travel to China for family reunions or private matters;

2) Persons who hold an “Invitation Letter (PU/TE)” or “Verification Confirmation of Invitation” issued by a provincial authority for cultural, economic, scientific, sporting, technological, or trade purposes;

3) Persons who hold a “Notification Letter of Foreigners Work Permit” and a “Invitation Letter (PU/TE)” or a “Verification Confirmation of Invitation” for work in China;

4) Persons intending to visit an immediate family member (including parents, spouses, children, grandparents, or grandchildren) who is in a critical medical condition, or to attend to funeral arrangements for said person. Documentation proving the relationship is required;

5) Spouses or children under 18 of a Chinese national, or who themselves hold a valid Chinese “Foreign Permanent Resident ID Card” and who intend to visit China for the purposes of family reunion;

6) Persons (including an accompanying spouse or children under the age of 18) intending to travel to China to care for their Chinese parents. Documentation proving the relationship is required; 7) Persons who qualify to apply for a crew (C) visa. Persons are required to make an appointment online with the nearest Chinese Visa Application Centre before submitting any application materials in person.

Information about Travel Restricktions to China from